As a wardrobe stylist and fashion consultant, I encounter all types of closets…messy, crowded, sparse, colorful, big, and small, you name it. One thing I know is that everyone likes to have an organized closet full of wearable items. The first step to getting there is to do a full closet cleanse. Go through each of your items and ask yourself:
1. Do I love it?
2. Do I wear it?
3. Does it fit perfectly?
4. Does the color work for me?
5. Does it go with what I already have in my closet and fit my lifestyle?
If the answer is no to any of these questions, it is time to let go! Try these green ideas:
1. Good old-fashioned donation! Make sure you get a receipt and do a tax write-off.
2. Consignment…find a good consigner who will agree on a price with you and split that sale at least 50-50
3. If you love the fabric but the fit isn’t right and the item is not able to be tailored (I once had a client who loved her Missoni shrug but it was swallowing her) make pillows or curtains out if it! The ultimate way to recycle and reuse an item you love!
4. Clothing swap…the new “green” way to shop! Do you have girlfriends who have perfectly wonderful things in their closet they don’t wear? It’s just another excuse to get together, have a cocktail, and shop. What more could a greenista ask for?
Written by Guest Writer Bridget Boggess
Photo by Dress Marie