Eco warriors, arm yourselves with reusable totes, bottles, and tableware and spread the word of recycling dos and don’ts … it’s Pollution Prevention Week. Pollution isn’t just in the air it lurks in every crevice of the environment. Remember to practice the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Every little bit does add up and no effort is too small. To get you started, the Greenista Girls came up with a list of easy tips to follow during Pollution Prevention Week … and for the rest of your life (hint, hint).
- Reuse bags and containers. Gift bags are great for re-gifting or wrapping packages and covering books.
- Try to create a new décor item out of something old you might have been ready to toss.
- Avoid unnecessary car trips and if you must, carpool instead. This is one of the most helpful things you can do to prevent pollution.
- Practice safe Take Out. Just say “no” to extra condiments, napkins, and plastic ware.
- Wash out plastic containers and glass jars you buy food in and use them as Tupperware.
- Paper or plastic? Neither! When grocery shopping, take your own reusable bag.
- Turn off your computer, monitor, lights and all electronics if you’re not using them.
- Do a double take. Save paper by making double sided copies.
- Only print when absolutely necessary.
- Minimize water use by purchasing efficient faucets and shower heads
- Make your own cleaning supplies. Baking soda and water can be used instead of ammonia-based, all-purpose cleaners.
- Go meat-free one night this week with veggies and yummy pasta.
Written by Greenista Girl Neha
Photos by Sacramento State