Don’t toss those slimy “guts” from your jack-o-lantern … turn the seeds into a yummy treat instead. There are no scary ingredients in this all-natural and healthy snack. Greenista Girl Shubhra remembers having toasted and salted pumpkin seeds at her pre-school and has been in love with them ever since. Here is a grown-up, gourmet version using not just salt, but other spices as well.
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Organic pumpkin seeds
- Organic olive oil
- Organic salt
- Organic garlic powder (optional)
- Organic onion powder (optional)
- Organic cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Rinse the pumpkin seeds and separate the pumpkin pulp.
2. Use your fingers to remove all the pulp. Drain pumpkin seeds and discard pulp.
3. Spread out on a baking sheet to dry overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 300 degree.
5. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
6. Toss pumpkin seeds in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and your choice of garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Toss to coat.
7. Bake about 1 hour, tossing every 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Cool pumpkin seeds before eating.
9. Eat them plain or top on salads, soup, or yogurt.
10. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months.
PS: Feeling extra spicy? Try other combos like curry, cumin, Hungarian paprika, and more. Get creative!
Written by Greenista Girl Shubhra
Photo by Health Mad