You don’t have to enter the land of make believe to eat locally … just visit your local greenmarket. The average dinner ingredients travel around 1,500 miles from farm to fork … phew! So, by eating locally you’ll reduce your carbon footprint, save on packaging, support local farmers, and it’ll taste better because it’s super fresh. Just check your local government’s website for a list of local farmers or greenmarkets. There also might be a few pick-your-own fruit and veggies farms. Greenista Girl Shubhra tries to eat locally as much as possible and shows you how to whip up an Indian summer treat: The Peach Lassi.
Peach Lassi (serves 2)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular or fat free … don’t forget to make the yogurt)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
15 ice cubes + ice cubes to half-fill 2 tall glasses
Chop up the peaches with the skin on. Toss the chopped peaches, yogurt, sugar, water, and 15 ice cubes in a blender. Blend until smooth and the ice is all crushed.
Fill 2 tall glasses half-way with ice cubes. Pour the lassi into the glasses and enjoy!
You can also make this drink in advance and store in the fridge up to 3 days.
Written by Greenista Girl Shubhra
Photo by Shubhra
Tags: eat locally, farmers' market, greenmarket, local
Statistics show that when buying local, at least 90% of your food dollars go directly to your local farmers and food producers. When you purchase food from national outlets, only around 20% of your food dollars reaches the farmer. The remaining 80% pays for marketing, travel, distribution, and other company operating costs.