The Low Down on Organic Labeling!

According to http://www.greenearthorganics.com, “organic” refers to how the food has been grown and processed. The standards for the production, processing and certification of organic foods have been established by the Federal Organic Food Protection Act of 1990. Organically grown foods are grown without synthetic pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers. Instead, common practices used in organic farming and food production include the use of natural fertilizers and composts; crop rotation for building healthy soil; pest and weed control using naturally occurring toxins, predator insects, and hand cultivation. Organic farming is time-consuming and often more costly than the non-organic methods but it provides the highest quality foods without the risk to public health or to the environment.

So, want to know the down and dirty about what Organically Produced means?

1. 100% Organic - is actually 95% organic.  The other 5% have to be approved on the “National List” of items that are not available on an organic farm.  Products cannot be made using sewage sludge, ionization radiation, and excluded methods.

2. Made with organic ingredients - is actually 70% organic.  Can list up to 3 organic ingredients.  USDA Seal cannot be used.  So for example, if you buy a CAN OF SOUP, and it states - “Made with Organic Vegetables” (It is only 70% organic).

Remember those eggs of yours?

Listen to this! There are no restrictions regarding: “No drugs or growth hormones used…Free Range….Sustainably Harvested”  Ack!

For more information please go to:
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO&navtype=RT&parentnav=AGRICULTURE

3. Take a Few Steps to Green Your Diet!
http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating-plans/

Recycle this!
  • email
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Mixx
  • Blogplay

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,